Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bronson Arroyo and more ruined No Hitters

As most of you know, the season of 'football interfering with baseball' is starting to warm up. I checked out the Worldwide Leader, and I saw another football headline, despite the fact that no one is actually playing football now. It happens every year, right around the time I go back to school - which is in nine days - and I dread it. Football, with the exception of soccer, is my least favorite sport. In any case, a few quick hits for right now, and we'll be jumping back into the normal stuff soon. There is no huge excuse for the past 40 day absence. I simply couldn't spend as much time following baseball and working a full time job as I could during the school year. I know that many readers work full time jobs as well; in fact, I would say most of you do. And most of you would find that something like this is just impossible to do every single day. On that note, you can check Kevin's post in the Chatbox,

KEVIN: rumor has it, reid is planning a great return to the blog. He may say he has been "very busy" but he is lying. He has just been lazy, and has been catching up in watching The Office

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If you haven't seen The Office, you need to watch the entire 2nd season now. It's fantastic.

Former Red Sox Bronson Arroyo decided that, since he hasn't won a game in nearly two years (actually, since June 19th,) that it must be his hair's fault. So, for today's game against the Cardinals he put his hair into cornrows, hoping that whatever black magic "broke" The Boston Curse would bring him a win. It didn't, and he gave up four home runs instead. But it's good to see that spending time with his hair stylist is more important than trying to figure out why he can no longer pitch. Actually, stop yourself, Bronson Arroyo was never a great pitcher. Pre-June 19th, he was 9-3 with a 2.47 ERA. So Arroyo was pretty good for about two and a half months. Nothing, least of all hair, can bring that back.

Last night, I had the fortune of watching two no-hitters get broken up in the 6th and 7th innings, and I was responsible for both. As most of you know, I have a strange ability to stop a no-hitter in its tracks, as soon as I open my mouth to Kevin. Last night was no exception. First case, David Bush on the mound against the Cubs. And obviously, if two months ago you had asked me which of the 30 teams would get no-hit this season, I would tell you the Cubs or the Royals. Probably the Royals, since the Cubs have the Dusty Baker "don't walk, you'll clog the bases" strategy. Anyway, it's the top of the 6th inning and Bush is still running a no-hitter. Knowing my past experiences, I try to tell Kevin why I can't watch the Yankees game. I tell him I'm doing something that involves the letters 'MLB', and that one of the teams has the first two letters of the aforementioned three in it, while the other team has an NFL team in the same city which utilizes the final letter. Alas, the next at bat, Bush gives up a hit to Juan Pierre, of all people. How this happened is less of a mystery than how Pierre's OBP skyrocketed to a lofty .322, with an average of .276. The last I remember, Baker was still plugging him into the leadoff spot with an OPB circa .280.

The next game finds us at US Cellular Field, (formerly New Comiskey, before the sellout.) This one was never in doubt, because after I sent Kevin on the hunt for what I was doing, (see above,) he responded with, "dude no way Johnson is going to pull it off," which is a shotgun blast to whatever chances Randy ever had. I told him to shut up, and about three seconds later Bush gave up his bid. So, I went over to the Yankee game, knowing I wouldn't be seeing anything special, but knowing that if I didn't switch over, I would, in fact, miss something special. The next White Sox up to bat gets a hit. I can't make this stuff up, people. In the past year, I have ruined six potential no-hitters or perfect games, three of which were in the sixth inning or later.

Thanks for holding out - the site has still been getting nearly 100 hits a day - and know that we won't be hearing any talk of football here for the remainder of the season. See you guys again tomorrow.

Good thing I started Jeff Suppan tonight - April 18, 2006
The Hit Streak v. The Perfect Game: Superstitions - April 3, 2006
Maroth, Dusty Baker v. BB, and Marlins - April 26, 2006

No comments: