Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Yankees pitching - and a freak injury flashback

I caught a lot of flak from some of you guys after I wrote about how the Yankees needed to beef up their rotation if they expected to make the Series this year. I'm not going to say I told you so, but seriously. Now that Moose and Pavano are on the DL, the rotation stacks up like this: Andy Pettitte, Kei Igawa, and Darrell Rasner. I guess some kid named Chase Wright just got called up. Now, I don't follow the Yankees farm system at all, so it's possible he's a AAA stud, I would have no idea. But I am going to say that I have never heard of him, and that is because he has yet to make his MLB debut. Now, I know it is ludicrous to suggest that we are going to be riding Chase and Rasner into the playoffs, and I'm not trying to. I know we'll get healthy at some point. But what I am saying is, even when this rotation does get healthy, is it really that lights out? I'm not sure it is. Furthermore, people keep dismissing these health problems, and saying that it doesn't count against the rotation, (or the team's,) strength. If these were freak injuries - a pitcher hit on the elbow with a line drive, etc - they would be correct. However, that's not what's happening. These guys are getting hurt just by playing the game as they would normally play it. They're not getting felled by crashing head first into the outfield fence, (Aaron Rowand.) They're not getting smashed by their own teammates, (D. Lee.) I would suggest following that link, because it's hilarious. But here's the summary, or rather, the lead-in:

Derrek Lee - All-Star and team leader - and last-reliever-standing Scott Eyre were both injured. In the same week? Yes. Same game? Yes. Same inning? Yes. Same play? Yes. One thing if they did it to each other, but they didn't. Imagine having nearly a quarter of your players on the field go down within seconds.

That was really one of the saddest moments in Cub baseball. Additionally, simply because I'm in the mood for it, I have to bring up another classic post: "I guess Operation Shutdown also involves Cocaine." There's no reason at all for this, I just wanted to bring it up.

In any case, I would like some of you guys to explain this to me. How can we expect this rotation - and the rest of the team - to simply hold up forever? I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a good, solid, reason why we shouldn't trade for some up and coming pitchers. We've got offense to give. So why not make a deal that sends, say, Abreu out for two or three promising young arms? I know you have to wait on the development, and it's anything but a sure fire thing - you may end up getting nothing for your investment. But you've got to end the cycle at some point.

Cranes, Cubs, Yankees, and DL notes - April 20th, 2006
I guess Operation Shutdown also involves Cocaine - April 22nd, 2006

No comments: